Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Introduction to White Boarding and Modeling

Here are some tips and phrases that can be used for white boarding in all units. White boarding is what we do- it is important! Most quotes are compliments of either Don or Laura- thanks for all of your modeling!

  • Look at boards and talk about similarities and differences
  • How does that compare to ______?
  • Show me where? (when students say an idea)
  • That's interesting, how did you come up with that?
  • So what I'm hearing…
  • When groups present different versions of labs, ask other groups questions and see if they buy in
  • Do you think…
  • For yes/no questions, teach the class as a whole to do thumbs up/down immediately
  • What else?
  • Let's vote on this- to make it easy, I'll give you multiple choice…
  • Talk that over in your group/check with your neighbor…
  • I'm going to write all of your answers in a nonjudgmental way
  • Ok, I see a lot of people nodding their heads, that makes me feel good
  • Select the least capable student to explain for group who is still capable
  • I noticed this was different (not necessarily wrong), can you tell me why?
  • Hand up if you and your neighbors noticed the same thing… Is this a coincidence?
  • Alright, I'm ready. Now listen, (pause) this is important. You guys ready?
  • Say more about that…
  • I love what you have done. You have done really good work and you've worked hard. 
  • Does this mean ______… (something it doesn't mean)
  • Does your board need editing? ______, what do you think?
  • I'm going to ask some important questions in a moment here…
  • Purposely have students make a mistake (like a game) and see if others find it out
  • Let's hold off attacks on other answers and just defend some
  • Hold on, they was we do classroom discussion…
  • Don't worry, take your time, we'll wait…
  • To the whole class: "focus, focus, focus, gentleman, ladies…"
  • Can we change your board to represent that?
  • Discuss (and add if needed) critical competitors
  • Give a good scenario to compare with
  • I've noticed…
  • I'm wondering…
  • Hmm… 
  • For worksheets- do not tell others how to do worksheets. Correct and make additions in a new color so that you can see the change in your thinking
We care about the process- effort and hard work are what are important. Developing the model (graphically, mathematically, pictorially) is so important because it has predictive power.

No comments:

Post a Comment